Early Career Women Scientists (ECWS) Fellowships for Science and Technology Lagging Countries, 2018
Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD) is offering Early Career Women Scientists Fellowships to women who have completed their PhDs. The ECWS fellowship is intended for research that will have a demonstrable impact on the local, national or regional community.
The ECWS fellowships programme is administered by OWSD with funds generously provided by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Canada.
The ECWS fellowship specific objectives are to empower ECWS fellows to lead important research projects with practical applications for low and middle income countries (LMICs), including through strengthening their collaboration with industry.
The Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD) is an international non-profit organization based at the offices of The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), in Trieste, Italy, a programme unit of UNESCO.
- Application Deadline: August 31, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowships are to women who have completed their PhDs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) subjects.
- Study Subject: Eligible STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)
Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
Biological Systems and Organisms
Computing and Information Technology
Medical and Health Sciences
Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Scholarship Award: The ECWS fellowship is for two years and provides up to USD 50,000 to enable fellows to maintain an international standard of research as well as initiate collaborations and partnerships with industry and the private sector.
- Nationality: Applicants must have been resident in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs) for at least 5 years.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given
- Scholarship can be taken at an academic or scientific research institute in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs).
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Applicants must have been resident in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries(STLCs) for at least 5 years.
|Central African Rep.||Niger|
|Chad||Palestine (West Bank and Gaza Strip)|
|Ivory Coast||Sao Tome and Principe|
|Dem Rep. Congo||Senegal|
|El Salvador||Solomon Islands|
|Lao People’s Dem Rep.||Vanuatu|
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible to apply for the ECWS fellowship applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must have been resident in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs) for at least 5 years.
- At the time of application, applicants must be already employed at the university or research institute where the project will be carried out.
- This university/institute where the project will be carried out must be in one of the listed STLCs.
Please note this list may be subject to slight variation each year according to criteria established by our donor, IDRC, and in agreement with OWSD. Each year the list will be updated when the call for applications is opened.
Eligible academic qualification
PhD in one of the above listed study fields.
- PhD awarded not more than 10 years prior to application.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.