2020 / 2021 University For Development Studies Undergraduate Admissions Released
Application forms for admission to Undergraduate Diploma and Degree programmes in the University for Development Studies (UDS) will be available online at www.uds.edu.gh from Monday, January 13, 2020 for holders of the following qualifications;
- Mature applicants – West African Senior Secondary School Certificate (WASSCE), Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) and GCE ‘O’ Level
- Distance Applicants with Senior Secondary School Certificate (WASSCE/SSCE) and GCE ‘O’ Level
- HND/Diploma Certificates, State Registered Nurses (SRN) etc
The following courses are currently offered by the University.
A. MATURE/DIPLOMA/DEGREE APPLICANTS
i. HND and other Diploma Holders Seeking Admission into Degree Programmes
HND and other Diploma applicants seeking admission to Degree programmes should possess at least a:
- Second Class Lower or better in related programmes would be admitted into Level 200;
- Third Class or Pass would be considered for admission to Level 100.
- Candidates would be required to pass a selection interview to be conducted by the University. The interviews are scheduled for Friday June 26, 2020, at the Tamale Campus.
ii. Mature Applicants
This is applicable to only programmes under Faculty of Integrated Development Studies (FIDS), Faculty of Agribusiness and Applied Economics (FAAE),, Faculty of Education (FOE), School of Business and Law (SBL), and Faculty of Planning and Land Management (FPLM), Faculty of Applied Science (FAS), Faculty of Agriculture (FoA), Faculty of Natural Resources and Environment (FNRE), Faculty Earth and Environment Sciences (FEES); and also the Faculty of Mathematical Sciences (FMS.
Eligible applicants for the Mature Entry must meet the following criteria:
- Be 25 years or above by August 31, 2020
- Have passes in five G.C.E.‘O’ Level subjects including English Language, Mathematic/Statistics and Science.
- Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE) holders must have passes or better (A to E) in English Language and Mathematics (Core) plus any other credit passes in three elective subjects. (For candidates wishing to pursue Mathematical Science courses, the elective subjects should include Elective Mathematics).
- West Africa Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (WASSCE), holders must have passes or better (A1 to D7) in English Language and Mathematics (Core) plus any other credit passes in three elective subjects. (For candidates wishing to pursue Mathematical Science courses, the elective subjects should include Elective Mathematics).
- Candidates would be expected to write and pass both a selection examination (Thursday June 25, 2020) and an interview (Friday June 26, 2020) to be conducted by the University at the Tamale Campus.
- Only candidates who obtain satisfactory marks in the selection examination and interview will be admitted to pursue the degree programme.
SCHOOL OF ALLIED HEALTH SCIENCES
- Doctor of Medical Laboratory Sciences (MLS.D)
Admission / Entry Requirement
a) Graduates of allied disciplines such as Biochemistry, Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology etc. Candidates with GCE ‘A’ level with minimum of credit passes in Biology, Chemistry and Physics with “O” level 5 credit passes in Mathematics and English in maximum of 2 sittings, may enter the Programme in Year Two after passing an assessment examination and interview
b) Holders of Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) Diploma and HND in Science Laboratory Technology that have at least 6 WASSCE/SSSCE credit passes) as indicated above may enter the Programme in Year Two after passing an assessment examination and interview.
c) Top-Up Programme for 2-Years into MLS.D (Fee Paying only)
Graduates with Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science or B.Sc. in Medical Laboratory Science may enter the Programme in Year 5 (2 years duration) after passing an assessment examination and interview.
Interviews for holders of Diploma/Degree for top-up in Doctor of Medical Laboratory Sciences (MLSD) will be conducted from July 6, 2020.
Applicants to the 3-Year BSc Nurse Practitioner programme or 2/3-Year BSc Nursing/Midwifery programmes must be Registered Nurses/Midwifery with a Diploma or State Registered Nurses Certificate or Midwifery and at least three (3) years working experience. Applicants without three (3) years working experience are advised not to apply.
Bachelor of Science (BSc) Paediatric Nursing
Applicants to the 2-Year BSc in Paediatric Nursing programme must be Registered Nurses/Midwives with a Diploma or State Registered Nursing Certificate or Registered Midwifery Certificate. In addition, applicant must have at least three (3) years working experience. Applicants without three (3) years working experience are advised not to apply.
SCHOOL OF MEDICINE & HEALTH SCIENCES
- Medicine (MBChB) programme
The UDS School of Medicine & Health Sciences will offer admission to qualified applicants who wish to enroll into the fee-paying medical programme(MBChB)for 2020/2021 Academic Year.
- Graduates with Bachelor of Science-based Programmes (2nd Class Upper Division or better) including Anatomy, Physiology, Human Biology, Biological Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Biochemistry, Nursing (BSc Nursing only), Microbiology, Laboratory Sciences, Pharmacy, Nutrition, Biotechnology and Pharmacology can apply. Graduate applicants must have done science-based subjects in the Senior High School and must have satisfied the entry requirements for admission into a University as prescribed by UDS and NAB.
- WASSCE/SSSCE applicants seeking admission into the FEE-PAYING medical programme must have aggregate 12 OR BETTER with credits in three (3) core and three (3) science-based elective subjects.
A. All fee-paying applicants would be required to go through a 4-week preparatory programme in some selected subjects to qualify for admission.
B. Hard copies of completed application forms must be submitted directly to the Office of the Deputy Registrar, Academic and Students Affairs Section, Central Administration, Tamale Campus:
C. Closing date is 12th July, 2020
D. Only short listed applicants will be invited for the preparatory programme
For further enquiries contact: 0208175839; 0244778734; 0206477078; 0246763144.
BSc Nurse Anaesthesia programme, candidates should have one of the following: RGN (Diploma) with a minimum of 3 years post-registration working experience, RGN (BSc Nursing) with 2 years’ post-registration working experience and Advanced Diploma in Nurse Anaesthesia or Degree in Nursing with two (2) years working experience.
B. DISTANCE EDUCATION PROGRAMMES
INSTITUTE FOR DISTANCE AND CONTINUING EDUCATION
- DEGREE PROGRAMMES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- 2 year Degree (Post Diploma) in Basic Education – All Centres
- 2 year Degree (Post Diploma) in Early Childhood Education – All Centres
- 4 year Degree in Bachelor of Commerce – Wa Centre
- 3 year Degree(Post Cert) in Agriculture Technology – Damongo Centre (for Certificate and 2 year Diploma Holders)
- 2 year Degree (Post Diploma) in Agriculture Technology – Tamale Centre (for Diploma Holders from Agriculture Colleges)
- 3 year Degree in Basic/Early Childhood Education (for HND and 2 year Development Education Students) – Tamale Centre
- 2 year Degree (Post Diploma) in Business Education Studies – Tamale Centre
- 2 year Degree (Post Diploma)in Commerce (for HND holders) – Wa Centre
Applicants seeking admission into Degree programmes (Post Diploma or Post Cert) must possess the requisite qualification (Diploma or Certificate) from a recognized institution in Ghana. Applicants seeking admission into 4 year Degree in Bachelor of Commerce programme must possess:
- WASSSCE Certificate with 3 passes of at least grade C6 or better in 3 core subjects, including English Language, Mathematics and Science or Social Studies and (3) Passes C6 or better in related Elective subjects
- SSSCE, Certificate with Grade D or better in 3 core subjects, including English Language, Mathematics and Science or Social Studies and (3) Passes C6 or better in related Elective subjects
- DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Diploma in Basic Education – All Centres
- Diploma in Early Childhood Education – All Centres
- Diploma in Agriculture Technology – Tamale Centre
For applicants seeking admission into Diploma must possess three (3) credits passes in the area of specialization (elective subjects) and at least two passes (D7 or better) in English Language and Mathematics is required.
Applicants 25 years and above but with weak grades can also apply. Such applicants must show proof of age with birth certificate or any legitimate documentary proof and will enroll for a six-week (6) bridging programme to prepare them for admission
The Distance Centres are;
Tamale, Yendi, Bimbilla, Kpandai, Nkwanta, Chinderi, Walawale, Nankpanduri, Damongo, Buipe, Daboya, Navrongo, Bawku, Sandema, Sawla, Wa, Jirapa, and Wenchi.
C. ACCESS PROGRAMMES
SCHOOL OF ALLIED HEALTH SCIENCES (SAHS)
Access Course Programme at the Departments of Nursing and Midwifery
Eight weeks Access Course programme is offered to both domestic and international applicants who hold certificates in Enrolled Nursing (Nurse Assistant Clinical [NAC]) and Community Health Nursing (Nurse Assistant Preventive [NAP]) to enable them enroll into a 3/4-year BSc Nursing or a 4-year BSc Midwifery Sandwich programmes. Prospective applicants must be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Ghana and be in good standing. They must have worked for a minimum of three years. International applicants must show evidence of registration with their home Professional Regulatory Bodies. Applicants from non-English speaking countries must also show evidence of English Language proficiency.
Courses to be offered include the following:
- English Language
- Core Mathematics
- Integrated Science
- Introductory General Physics
- Introductory General Chemistry
- Introductory Biology
Admission into BSc Nursing and Midwifery Programmes
Candidates who obtain a pass mark of a minimum of 50% (equivalent to C5) or better in all the above-mentioned courses may apply for admission into the BSc Nursing or BSc Midwifery programmes. Successful candidates will be admitted at level 100 and 200 respectively.
Type of student and admission Level
- NAC/NAP into BSc Midwifery Level 100
- NAC into BSc Nursing Level 200
- NAP into BSc Nursing Level 100
Period of Access Course
Programme will run from May through June during 2020/2021 Academic Year for a period of eight (8) weeks. Programme will run during weekends only from Saturday to Sunday.
The programme will be located at the following places: Tamale Campus, Bolga Campus, Wa Campus and Royal Ann College of Health Sciences, Kumasi (UDS affiliate institution).
Contact for enquiries:
D. SANDWICH PROGRAMMES
FACULTY OF EDUCATION (FoE)
Sandwich Certificate, Diploma and Top-up Bachelor of Education
I. Sandwich Certificate
- Certificate Course in Early Childhood
Applicants with practical teaching experience in kindergarten and Nursery are particularly encouraged to apply.
II. Sandwich Diploma and Top-up Bachelor of Education
The Faculty of Education of the University for Development Studies is admitting suitably qualified persons into Sandwich Diploma and Top-up Bachelor of Education programmes in the 2020/2021 Session at its affiliated Colleges of Education (Dambai, McCoy, St. Vincent, Al-Faruk, Gambaga and Tumu Colleges of Education) as follows:
- 2-Year B.Ed. Early Grade Specialism
2. 2-Year B.Ed. Upper Grade Specialism
3. 2-Year B.Ed. Junior High School Specialism
4. 3 Year Diploma in Education
A. For entry into the Post-Diploma Degree or Top-up programmes in Early Grade Specialism, Upper Grade Specialism and Junior High School Specialism, the applicant must hold a Diploma in either Basic Education or Early Childhood Education.
B. For entry into the Diploma in Early Grade Specialism, Upper Grade Specialism and Junior High School Specialism, one must have three (3) Credits Passes in the area of specialization (elective subjects) and passes (D7 or better) in English Language and Mathematics in WASSCE.
- Certificate Course in Child Protection under the Faculty of Integrated Development Studies (FIDS)
Admission of Applicants to Certificate Course in Child Protection Programme
Applicants with practical knowledge in Child Protection and Community Development are particularly encouraged to apply.
Duration: The programme will be rolled out in two sessions. Each session will last for seven working days; and will consist of nine (9) credit hours. There is a break between the first and the second sessions.
OTHER DIPLOMA COURSES 2020
Sandwich courses leading to the award of diplomas in the following programmes:
- Diploma in Social Change Communication;
- Diploma in Natural Resource Management;
MODE OF APPLICATION FOR DOMESTIC (GHANAIAN) APPLICANTS
All Ghanaian applicants for the 2019/2020 Academic Year admissions are required to use the UDS online application portal. The procedure for the online application process is as follows:
i. Make a payment of GH¢ 180.00 (One Hundred and Eighty Ghana Cedis) for the UDS E-Voucher at any GCB Bank, Prudential Bank, Zenith Bank, Agricultural Development Bank (ADB), Stanbic Bank National Investment Bank (NIB) and Ecobank branches throughout the country.
ii. The E-Voucher contains the PIN, and Serial Number required for the completion of the online form.
iii. Access the online form by visiting our online admissions portal at uds.edu.gh soon after payment.
iv. In completing the online form, students will be required to upload their most recent passport size photographs with white background and relevant certificates. Applicants who use objects instead of their own photographs would be disqualified.
v. A completed form will not be considered for admission unless it is SUBMITTED after accepting our data confirmation policy
vi. Applicants are advised to check thoroughly all details entered before finally submitting their online applications. A form, once submitted, can only be viewed, but cannot be edited.
vii. Candidates are strongly advised to visit any EMS Office in the Country for assistance towards the return of the application documents (see viii). Applicants are advised not to post the forms themselves. They should seek the advice and services of Ghana Post EMS.
viii. Applicants must print out application summary; attach results slips, certificates and all other relevant documents. These documents should be submitted in triplicates (three copies each) to the Deputy Registrar (Academic Affairs Section).
ix. The application documents as specified in (vii) above should be addressed to:
The Deputy Registrar (Academic& Student Affairs)
University for Development Studies
P.O Box TL 1350
Closing date for submission of applications is May 31, 2020 or (April 30, 2020, for BSc Nurse Anaesthesia). Candidates should note that no applications will be accepted after the closing date.
- The application documents as specified above should be addressed to:
The Deputy Registrar
Academic & Students’ Affairs
University for Development Studies
P.O Box TL 1350