USAID Ghana 2019 Current Vacant Position For Infectious Disease Advisor
The United States Government, represented by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Mission to West Africa based in Accra, Ghana, seeks applications from qualified Resident U.S. citizens interested in Personal Services Contract (PSC) services as Infectious Disease Advisor for USAID/West Africa
The position will be located in the US Embassy Accra. Ghana: or US Embassy, Cotonou, Benin or US Embassy Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire based on candidate’s country of residence
In order to be considered for the position. a candidate must meet the minimum qualifications listed in the solicitation at the time of submisson, and must submit all required documentation
• This position requires a highly qualified and experienced individual with exceptional interpersonal and communications skills, and with demonstrated expertise in Infectious Disease Surveillance and Response, GHSA policy implementation, Emerging Pandemic Threats, Zoonotic Diseases, and One Health. The Regional Infectious Disease(ID) Advisor is responsible for coordinating and supporting a complex multi-sectoral, multi-country portfolio; providing technical support to the full range of investments related to the USAID GHSA and ETD portfolio in West Africa; and coordinating USG assistance in this area to align with Mission and local government priorities. S/he carries out a full range of coordination, consultative, advisory and reporting, country backstop support, and global project design activities for the USAID/ETD and GHSA portfolio in West Africa.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Minimum of a Master’s degree or higher in public health, public policy, epidemiology, infectious disease, or other allied fields related to public health and/or animal health is required.
• Additional studies/certificates or training may be an advantage.
• Minimum seven (7) years’ of progressively responsible experience working in public health ( program management, program coordinator, project implementation) with US Government funded programs, with at least two (2) years’ of experience in an international setting (preferably in Africa), supporting health, infectious diseases or development programs is required.
• Demonstrated experience with internationally-focused organization(s) working on animal and/or human public health (e.g., World Health Organisation (WHO), the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) and/or USG or other donor programs may be an advantage. Familiarity with these organizations is required.
• Experience coordinating complex programs with multiple partners across sectors is required and must be demonstrated. Experience working on One Health/Avian Flu/Zoonotic Disease/Infectious Disease or similar cross-sectoral programs related to biosecurity is an advantage.
• Minimum of two (2) years of experience related to management of programs in developing countries that involve significant partnership and collaboration across ministries or sectors such as the Ministry of Health, Ministry of Livestock or Wildlife, Ministry of Environment and Ministry of Agriculture.
• Experience with monitoring and evaluation methodologies including frameworks, data quality assurance, analysis, reporting, and best practices in data dissemination in international/resource limited settings.
Skills, Technical Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of USG initiatives related to development assistance, USAID programming policies, regulations, procedures, and documentation requirements for strategy and project design, implementation, management, and evaluation is a strong asset.
• Technical knowledge about monitoring and evaluation methodologies including frameworks, data quality assurance, analysis, reporting, and best practices in data dissemination in international/resource poor settings.
• Ability to articulate logical arguments and develop clarity of thought during technical and political discussions in a multi-lingual/multi-cultural environment with political and cultural sensitivity.
• Ability to demonstrate good judgment and presentation skills in front of high-level representatives. This includes being able to represent topics on which the incumbent is not an expert. Experience/examples of this should be demonstrated.
Teamwork and Interpersonal Skills:
•Demonstrated flexibility and openness in responding to changing work priorities and environment is a must.
• Demonstrated strong teamwork, cultural competency, diplomacy, and interpersonal skills are essential.
• Demonstrated strong written and oral communications skills in English and French, and an ability to communicate complex technical information to a variety of audiences and stakeholders including senior-level managers, country-level health officials, UN, senior level USG delegations, inter-agency partners, and host government counterparts is required.
• Demonstrated experience working successfully and effectively in a multi-cultural team environment (teamwork and multi-cultural awareness) on complex issues or programs.
• Demonstrated examples of leadership and supervisory skills in complex situations (leadership and supervision) and ability to explain his/her personal theories of leadership and supervision and give a personal example of its application.
• Demonstrated high degree of judgment, maturity, ingenuity, and originality to interpret strategy, to analyze, develop, and present work results and to monitor and evaluate implementation of programs.
Communication and Language:
• Fluency in English (level IV) required and French (level III) preferred; in both oral and written communication in professional, technical, and policy communication with host country government representatives and partners across sectors.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely on personal or highly technical areas.
Salary Range:$75,687- $99,691 p.a. (depending on qualification and experience)
How To Apply For The Job
Application packages are to be submitted via email to:
When submitting your application. start the subject line with the position title. Failure to state this and submit letter With relevant documents will result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified. Only shortlisted will be contacted.
Closing Date: 05 July, 2019