UG – Legon Opens New Recruitment For 2021
UG – Legon Opens New Recruitment For 2021 – Apply Now
The University of Ghana hereby invites applications from suitably qualified persons within the University for the position of these Job titles
UG – Legon Opens New Recruitment For 2021 – Job Title: Database Administrator (DBA)
• To oversee the creation, maintenance, performance, integrity and security of the databases. Provide operational support in the planning, development, maintenance and troubleshooting activities for the achievement of the objectives of the University.
• Ensure that information is backed-up, secured, and protected
• develop, manage and test back-up and recovery plans
• perform the planned backups and test backup plans
• ensure that storage and archiving procedures are functioning correctly
• Monitor database performance and configure for optimum response times
• Assist designers with database support for business application prototypes, and participate in quality assurance exercises
• Manage User Access with regular review in collaboration with system owners
• Employ adequate validation controls to ensure high data integrity and security
• Regularly educate database users on good usage practices to avoid security breaches
• Collaborate with other team members to coordinate development of new databases and determine the scope of the job
• maintain data standards, including adherence to the Data Protection Act
• write database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata)
• communicate regularly with applications developers to ensure database integrity and security
1. The applicant must be a staff of the University of Ghana at the grade of at least, Principal ICT Assistant and have:
• A Masters’ Degree in any of the following areas: Computer Software/Computer Systems Engineering, Electronics, Information Technology, Mathematics, Operational Research.
• Minimum 5 years of experience in database Administration
• Oracle DBA certification (OCP and above) is an added advantage
2. Required knowledge, ability and skills:
• Hands-on experience in programming
• Familiarity with database technologies and operating systems
• Requires good knowledge of structured query language (SQL), Unix and DBMS
• Expertise in Oracle database management system, good knowledge of SQL Server and MySQL
• Excellent project management skills.
• Able to communicate well with stakeholders and at all levels.
• Excellent planning, organising and presentation skills.
• Able to lead and work as part of a team, solution orientated, proactive and motivated with good time management skills.
• Strong understanding of relational and conventional database technology, tools and techniques, standard operating systems, database products and needs, and performance and tuning techniques
• Multi-tasking to work on multiple projects at once required
• Demonstrated ability to maintain accurate records and meet or exceed company goals
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Ability to troubleshoot software and hardware issues
3. Core Attributes
• Analytical Thinking — Job requires analyzing information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems.
• Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
• Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
• Integrity – The position requires a high level of integrity, as the position holder will be exposed to confidential and sensitive information
• Innovation — Job requires creativity and alternative thinking to develop new ideas for and answers to work-related problems.
• Cooperation — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude
UG – Legon Opens New Recruitment For 2021 – Job Title: Assistive Technology Manager
To work to provide operational support in the planning, implementation and demonstration of diverse assistive technologies and to create the needed awareness and assist students, faculty and staff with special needs to perform their normal duties for the overall achievement of the objectives of the University
• The incumbent recommends, evaluates, installs and maintains assistive technologies on campus.
• The AT Manager is primarily responsible for determining appropriate technologies to assist students with disabilities including sensory (hearing and vision), and upper-body mobility impairments.
• The incumbent trains individual students with disabilities in the use of appropriate AT and how to adapt their learning strategies to make optimal use of technology. This position advises colleagues and technology partners regarding the accessibility of websites, hardware, and software systems.
• Assists in the development of policies and procedures related to accessibility and assistive technology.
• Carry out performance assessments to determine the skills gaps between current and desirable learner skill levels;
• Design training programs appropriate to the skills needed;
• Ensure the learning environment and resources support teaching and learner needs;
• Maintaining appropriate records of learner development and resource allocation.
• Initiate new ICT programs.
• Assist in setting exam questions and marking of scripts on Assistive Technology.
• Design, develop and organise IT training programs for students and staff of the University in the usage of Assistive Technologies
The applicant must be a staff of the University of Ghana at the grade of at least, Principal ICT Assistant and:
• Have a Master’s degree related to technology, higher education, or teaching
• minimum of six (6) years of related professional experience, preferably in a tertiary setting
• Professional certification in Management Information Systems, is an advantage.
Required knowledge, and skills and Attitude:
• Team player with energy, enthusiasm and perseverance with the ability to promote and maintain the highest standards in all aspects of the work.
• Very good organisational skills, encouraging positive collaborative working practices.
• Good communication skills, showing sensitivity and strength.
• Mentoring and coaching skills, showing ability to be both constructive and critical.
• Ability and skills to manage change.
• Successful experience of teaching across the age and ability range.
• The ability to build good relationships with all students and adults
• Hands-on usability expertise in various assistive software technologies
• Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot AT-related software and specialized AT-related computer hardware
• Demonstrated knowledge in various assistive hardware
• Knowledge of how assistive technology is useful for people with and without disabilities in an educational setting
• Ability to work well independently and as a member of a team
• Requires high degree of initiative and ability to work with minimal supervision
• This position requires well-developed written and oral communication and interpersonal skills; analytical, project management, organizational and problem-solving ability
UG – Legon Opens New Recruitment For 2021 – Job Title: Applications Development Manager
• To design, develop, create or customize software or specialized software tools and utilities with the aim of optimizing operational efficiency for the achievement of the objectives of the University
• Document business requirements using formalism such Unified Modelling Language (UML) or other object-oriented modeling tools;
• Coordinate software system installation and monitor equipment functioning to ensure specifications are met;
• Develop and direct software system testing and validation procedures, programming, and documentation;
• Modify existing software to correct errors, to adapt to new hardware, or to improve its performance;
• Obtain and evaluate information on factors such as reporting formats required, costs, and security needs to ensure optimum design;
• Store, retrieve, and manipulate data for analysis of system capabilities and requirements;
• Write computer programs of higher complexity or with specific performance, connectivity or business logic requirements;
• Elaborate Enterprise Software and Hardware Architecture orientation and monitor compliance to design principles and guidelines;
• Supervise the work of programmers, technologists and technicians and other engineering and scientific personnel.
The applicant must be a staff of the University of Ghana at the grade of at least, Principal ICT Assistant and:
• have a good first degree plus a Masters’ Degree in computer science, software/computer systems engineering, or equivalent;
• Minimum of five years working experience in a related programming environment;
• Certification in a programming tool/language is an advantage; and,
• have at least 10 years relevant post-second degree qualification experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
• Strong understanding of relational and conventional database technology, tools and techniques, standard operating systems, database products and needs, and performance tuning techniques;
• Requires a good knowledge of Unix and Database Management Systems (DBMS);
• Excellent knowledge of structured query language (SQL);
• A good knowledge of Oracle Weblogic server and Application Development Framework (ADF);
• Expertise in application development using oracle’s PL/SQL, Java Application Development, C++ and .Net Framework;
• Hands-on experience in programming;
• Ability to maintain a professional behaviour in all situations;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Ability to Analyze user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints;
• Excellent project management skills;
• Able to communicate well with stakeholders at all levels;
• Excellent planning, organising and presentation skills;
• Able to lead and work as part of a team, solution orientated, proactive and motivated with good time management skills;
• Multi-tasking to work on multiple projects at once required;
• Demonstrated ability to maintain accurate records and meet or exceed institutional goals;
• Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills; and,
• Ability to troubleshoot software and hardware issues.
• Analytical Thinking – Job requires analyzing information and using logic to address work-related issues and problems.
• Attention to Detail – Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
• Dependability – Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
• Integrity – The position requires a high level of integrity, as the position holder will be exposed to confidential and sensitive information.
• Innovation – Job requires creativity and alternative thinking to develop new ideas for and answers to work-related problems.
UG – Legon Opens New Recruitment For 2021 – Job Title: eLearning Manager
• To provide support for operating policies and procedures with a focus on online course development, faculty training and mentoring and multi-media and production services in support of online instructional programs offered through the University in line with learning management initiatives for the achievement of the objectives of the University.
• Manages online course development, faculty training and mentoring and quality initiatives for eLearning and instructional design.
• Ensures accessibility issues related to online instruction are addressed and compliance with applicable regulations adhered to.
• Oversees the planning, implementation and evaluation of production services using a variety of media.
• Supervises professional, technical/support staff in the management of issues resolution and inquiries from College departments, the community and/or external agencies and partners.
• Initiates operating policies and procedures with a focus on online course development, faculty training and mentoring and multi-media and production services in support of online instructional programs offered through the University.
• Oversee the performance of day-to-day administration and maintenance of the Sakai Learning Management System.
• Oversee the provision of timely and efficient troubleshooting assistance to users by investigating all questions/issues relating to the LMS and taking appropriate action for resolution..
• Manage the creation and enforcement of LMS standards, policies, and procedures
• Establish and maintain a strong vendor relationship to accomplish business objectives, including escalation of critical issues and troubleshooting critical Sakai functionality.
• Provide role-based system training as needed.
• Provide and make recommendations for systemic process improvements.
• Evaluate, recommend, and pilot new technologies as appropriate.
• Prepare, deliver and manage reports, recommendations, or alternative solutions to address existing and future business needs as related to LMS data.
• Coordinate the generation of ad hoc and recurring reports generated in the LMS.
• Design, run and analyse reports created outside of the LMS as needed.
• Design and develop online learning materials and help for applications using University of Ghana standards and development tools.
• Plan and organize periodic e-content training for lecturers.
• Assist lecturers to convert paper-based teaching materials into electronic and web-based versions.
Qualification Required & Experience
The applicant must be a staff of the University of Ghana at the grade of at least, Principal ICT Assistant and have:
• A Master’s Degree in Management Information Sciences
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Information Studies
• A minimum of Ten (10) years relevant post qualification working experience.
• A minimum of Six (6) years of experience administering an LMS.
• Experience with database administration
Required knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
• Outstanding problem-solving, analytical, organizational, and time management skills.
• Knowledge of MySQL and Redhat Linux.
• Ability to manage multiple concurrent objectives and projects.
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and work under deadlines.
• Excellent communicator who works well in team environment, appreciates challenge, comfortable and effective working in new areas that require experimentation and rapid problem solving.
• Knowledge of one or more content authoring tools highly desirable (Adobe Captivate, Articulate, etc)
• Possess outstanding customer service skills.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
• skills in developing high quality, standard-based online course design and development skills;
• Basic budgeting principles and practices;
• Project management principles and practices;
• Video, multi-media, and graphic material production principles and practices;
• Knowledge of Applicable software systems utilized in daily operations;
• Knowledge of Applicable digital production equipment;
• Knowledge of eLearning principles and practices;
• Knowledge and understanding of current and emerging educational technology.
• Ability to work with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff;
• Ability to utilize computer technology for communication, data gathering and reporting activities.
UG – Legon Opens New Recruitment For 2021 – METHOD OF APPLICATION
Applicants are required to submit the complete application pack to the
The University of Ghana,
P. O. Box LG 25,
(Hard copy); or
email@example.com (Soft copy). The application pack should contain the following:
• Completed application form for Senior Administrative and Professional employees (UAB Form 1B) to be downloaded from the University’s website at: www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd;
• An up to date Curriculum Vitae;
• Copies of relevant educational and professional certificates; and,
4. Two reference letters, at least one of which should be from a Head of Unit in the University of Ghana, with whom the applicant has worked. The reference letters should, among others, include the following information on the candidate:
• Professional competence and work output
• Leadership abilities and sense of responsibility.
• General Contribution to the work of the University (or relevant organization)
• Interpersonal skills
• Any other relevant information
In compliance with COVID-19 protocols, we encourage all applicants to submit soft copies of their application packs to the Registrar through the approved email address.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted to participate in a selection process.
Application Deadline: 23rd November 2020.