German Humboldt Research Fellowships
German Humboldt Research Fellowships 2022 – Study for free in Germany
Humboldt Research Fellowships for the batch of 2022 academic session started enrolling applicants in partner Universities. Humboldt Research Scholarship funding will be awarded to those international students who want to engage in a doctoral or postdoctoral research program in Germany.
These students must choose a German university, college, or research institution for their research. The Humboldt fellowships 2022 are awarded for a period of six to twenty-four months and enable researchers to carry out postdoctoral research in a German institution.
Applicants are selected based on their academic scores, their research publications, language skills, and a thorough assessment of their candidacy. The candidates are free to select their research area and research topic. Around 30% of the total applications get to the final stage and get selected for this Humboldt fellowship.
Coverage Allowances of Humboldt Research Fellowships:
The fellowship offers to fund 2,650 EUR per month to postdoctoral students. Funding of 3,150 EUR per month is for experienced researchers. Other than that, the fellowship offers
- A language course that would last from two to four months and would take place in a German-language institution before the fellowship recipient starts his/her studies in Germany. An offer to be a part of a language course can also be extended to the recipient’s marital partner.
- An invitation to research-related conferences and symposiums.
- A family allowance of 345 EUR for the candidate’s marital partner. 274 EUR will be given to each child of the fellowship recipient.
- For single parents, a monthly allowance of 400 EUR will be given for the first child. 100 EUR will be given for every additional child that the recipient has.
- A subsidy for research purposes will be given to the host institution that is taking in the recipient. The amount of it will be 800 EUR for research being conducted in the fields of natural sciences and engineering. For research in the fields of humanities and social sciences, the amount of the subsidy will be 500 EUR.
- An allowance will be given for the researcher to conduct his/her research in any other European country other than his/her home country. This will be given to only those who absolutely need to go to a European country for the purpose of their research.
- Coverage for travel expenses of the fellowship holder if those expenses are not being covered by any other third party.
- An allowance for conducting research (to the candidate’s host institution).
Eligibility Criteria for Humboldt Research Fellowships:
The eligibility criteria for this Humboldt Research Fellowship are as follows:
- This scholarship is for international students who neither live nor work in Germany.
- Applicants must have a Ph.D./doctoral degree or equivalent research experience.
- They must have research publications that have been peer-reviewed as per the international standards of research and publication.
- They should have their personal research profile comprised of a list of academic and research publications.
- Applicants who do not possess a Ph.D. and are independent researchers must possess quite a few years of research experience.
- They must be fluent in either German or the English language.
Documents Required for Humboldt Research Fellowship:
- An up-to-date resume of the candidate (should not exceed two pages)
- An outline of the research (should not exceed two pages)
- A comprehensive and complete list of all the publications made by the candidate.
- A list of publications that are of key importance.
- Certificate of doctorate
- Language proficiency certificate (of either German or the English language)
- A statement by the host institution confirming the availability of research facilities for the candidate
- Expert reviews by at least two people.
- Translations of publications in German or English if the publications are not in either of these languages.
- Letter of acceptance.
Process of Application for Humboldt Research Fellowships:
Number of Awards:
There are at least 500 scholarships to be awarded. Potential applicants are welcome to apply at any time of the year. Applicants can be domestic and international students.
Interested candidates can submit their applications through the website of the Humboldt Foundation, the link of which is given below the article.
Applicants have to be in agreement about their research outline and the duration of it with their host institution. Their application must include a statement by their host institution confirming the availability of research facilities to the candidate. The application (fully completed) should be submitted at least four months earlier than the selection date.
Duration of the Humboldt Fellowship:
The duration of the Humboldt fellowship is:
- 6 to 24 months for postdoctoral candidates.
- 6 to 18 months for independent researchers.
Humboldt Fellowships Application Deadline:
You are responsible for ensuring that your documents are complete. If for compelling reasons the statement and the confirmation of support cannot be provided by the application deadline (15 October), you may exceptionally also submit your application without these documents.