List Of Degree Nursing Training Schools In Ghana
What is the List Of Degree Nursing Training Schools In Ghana? A school or program offering nursing education at the degree level is often referred to as a degree nursing training school. Nursing has developed into a profession that frequently results in the awarding of a degree and calls for formal education and training.
General Courses Offered In Degree Nursing Training Schools In Ghana
Ghana’s degree nursing programs provide comprehensive education in nursing theory, practice, and related fields, with varying course offerings across institutions:
- Anatomy and Physiology: The structure and operation of the human body are covered in this course, giving students a foundation for understanding how the body functions and how illness can affect it.
- Pharmacology: Pupils gain knowledge of drugs, their effects, and safe administration techniques. For nurses who will be in charge of giving patients medication, this is essential.
- Nursing Fundamentals: Students learn the fundamentals of nursing practice in this course, including patient assessment, hygiene, vital sign measurement, and patient care techniques.
- Medical-Surgical Nursing: The treatment of patients with surgical and medical disorders is the main topic of this course. Students gain knowledge of medical procedures, nursing interventions, and illness processes.
- Maternal and Child Health Nursing: Prenatal care, labor and delivery, postpartum care, and newborn and infant care are all topics covered in this course. In addition, pediatric nursing is included.
- Psychiatric Nursing: The treatment of people with psychiatric and behavioral health problems is covered, as well as therapeutic communication and mental health illnesses.
- Community Health Nursing: The focus of this course is nursing care for the general public, including illness prevention, health promotion, and working with a variety of demographics..
- Nursing Research: Students gain knowledge of research techniques and how to analyze nursing research literature. There’s a chance that this course will also include research assignments.
- Ethics and Professionalism: This course explores the ethical principles and professional standards that guide nursing practice. It addresses issues related to patient rights, confidentiality, and ethical decision-making.
- Leadership and Management: Students learn about leadership skills, management principles, and healthcare administration to prepare them for roles in healthcare leadership.
- Nursing Informatics: The use of technology and information systems in healthcare, which is playing a bigger role in contemporary nursing practice, is covered in this course.
- Clinical Practicum: Students engage in clinical rotations throughout the program at a variety of healthcare facilities (such as community health centers, hospitals, and clinics) to obtain practical experience and apply their classroom learning.
Admission Requirement For Degree Nursing Training Schools In Ghana
Accurate admission requirements for Ghanaian nursing degree programs vary by institution, so it’s essential to consult individual schools for the most up-to-date information:
- Academic Qualifications:
- a Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE) or West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) with credits in English, mathematics, integrated science, or social studies.
- For the WASSCE, a minimum C6 is frequently required in English, Core Mathematics, and Integrated Science or Social Studies.
- A minimum grade of D is frequently needed for the SSSCE in English, Mathematics, and Integrated Science or Social Studies.
- Certain colleges could have prerequisites for particular subjects or grade point averages (GPA).
- Additional Subjects: Candidates with credits in specific science areas, such as Biology and Chemistry, may be required by or given favor by some nursing schools.
- Age Requirement: The normal age range for applicants is typically 18 to 35 years old, though this might vary by institution.
- Entrance Examination: In Ghana, many nursing training institutions demand that applicants complete an entrance test that may contain inquiries about science, math, and English.
- Interview: In order to evaluate a candidate’s motivation for pursuing a nursing career and communication abilities, certain institutions may conduct interviews as part of the admissions process.
- Health Examination: To make sure they are physically suitable for nursing practice, applicants might need to go through a medical exam.
- Background Check: It is possible to analyze an applicant’s criminal history through a background check..
- Application Forms: An application form, which can normally be obtained through the nursing school or their website, must be filled out and submitted by applicants. There can also be an application cost.
- Application Deadlines: It’s crucial to meet the nursing school’s deadlines for applications.
- Prerequisite Courses: Some prerequisite courses may need to be completed before admission for some nursing programs. These courses can be different, but they frequently cover topics like biology and chemistry.
- English Language Proficiency: If the applicant does not speak English as their first language, they may be required to take tests like the TOEFL or IELTS to demonstrate their English language competency.
List of Degree Nursing Training Schools In Ghana
School of Nursing and Midwifery
Located in: University of Ghana
Adireshi : MR35+CW6, JKM Hodasi Rd, Accra
Phone number : 030 251 3250
Nursing And Midwifery Training College
Adireshi: GQQ9+VQ9, Alexander Ave, Accra
Phone number : 030 268 5717
Health Concern Ghana
Adireshi: Royal Palm Avenue, Accra
Phone number : 024 436 4664
37 Nursing & Midwifery Training College
Address : Accra
Phone number : 032 202 0351
Western Hills School of Nursing
Address : Nation
Phone number : 054 734 4888
Nightingale School of Nursing
Adireshi : PRPM+2R2, Adenta Municipality
Phone number : 024 436 3558
Nyaniba Health Assistants Training School
Address : MX5J+FHX, Tema
Frequently Asked Questions About Degree Nursing Training Schools In Ghana
These are some commonly asked questions (FAQs) and succinct responses regarding degree-granting nursing training programs in Ghana:
What is the duration of a degree nursing program in Ghana?
For a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree, degree nursing programs in Ghana typically last 3–4 years.
What are the admission requirements for nursing schools in Ghana?
Passing the Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSSCE) or the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) with a specified score in core areas like English, Mathematics, Integrated Science, or Social Studies may be prerequisites for admission. Exams, interviews, and health evaluations may be added as prerequisites.
Do I need to have a science background to apply for a nursing program?
While having a background in science can be helpful, it’s not always a prerequisite. Although particular requirements can vary, certain nursing programs may demand credits in science courses like biology and chemistry.
Is there an age limit for nursing school admission in Ghana?
Age restrictions for entry are common in Ghana’s nursing schools and normally range from 18 to 35 years old. Age restrictions, however, may vary by institution.
Do I need to be a Ghanaian citizen to apply for nursing programs?
In Ghana, nursing programs are typically accessible to both Ghanaians and foreigners. However every college may have a different admissions procedure.
Are there scholarships or financial aid options available for nursing students?
Ghana’s nursing schools and colleges provide qualified students with financial aid or scholarships. It is wise to ask the specific schools about the scholarships they have available and the application process.
Can I apply for nursing programs if I completed my high school education outside of Ghana?
International students may indeed apply to Ghana’s nursing programs. They can be required to present proof of their international credentials and face additional admissions restrictions.
What is the process for applying to nursing schools in Ghana?
The standard application procedure entails getting an application form from the nursing school, filling it out, meeting the admissions requirements, sending the application with the necessary supporting documentation, and paying any necessary application costs. Moreover, deadlines should be followed.
Are there opportunities for clinical experience during the nursing program?
Indeed, clinical rotations and practical experience in healthcare settings are included in Ghanaian nursing schools to give students hands-on instruction.
What career opportunities are available after completing a nursing degree in Ghana?
Ghanaian nursing program graduates have a variety of job options, including those as registered nurses, nurse practitioners, nurse educators, nurse administrators, and more. They may work at healthcare facilities such as clinics, hospitals, community health centers, and others.