Kumasi Technical University Short Courses

Kumasi Technical University Short Courses

S001: Computerized Accounting
Course Description

A course designed to teach participants to be able to set up and maintain accounting system using a popular commercial microcomputer accounting software. The steps in the accounting cycle from entering transaction through closing are applied in a computerized environment. Topics include setting up a chart of accounts, sales and purchases transactions, inventory payroll transactions, access and security control and back up procedures.
Participants will particularly be taken through:

  •     Sage 50 Software
  •     Spreadsheet Accounting
  •     Database Management Systems

Objectives

This will give students hands-on experience in processing accounting transactions using Sage 50 Accounting Software application.

Participants

The courses are specially designed for staff of all Financial institutions (Banks, Savings & Loans, Companies, etc.) and students who would like to deepen their understanding and knowledge in computerized accounting.

Duration:       15 days
Course Fee:   GH¢1000
Date:              24th July -11th August, 2017
Contact:         Mr. Gilbert Kwabena Amoaku  (0208452549)

 

S004: Industrial Electrical Wiring and Control Systems
Course Description:

This course is to train commercial and Industrial technicians/ engineers to acquire the skills in designing and installing complete wiring of systems control in electrical installations. This course will consist of 20% theory to help participants in wiring drawing designs and load estimation. The remaining 80% would be based on practical training. Participants attending this course would also be trained along the Ghana Energy Commission (GEC) internal electrical professional installation examination.

Course content

The content of the course is as follows:

  • Safety
  • Power control system (mains & submains)
  • Motor control system ((DOL), star-delta (automatic and manual))
  • Temperature control system (low & high temperatures)
  • Ventilation control system
  • Power switching control system
  • Outdoor lighting control system
  • Water pump control (open and closed system)
  • Indoor lighting control system
  • Anti-theft control system
  • Vibration control system
  • Measurement and instrumentation Tests on completed installations
  • Installation and maintenance of motors and generators

Target group

  • Technicians in electrical installation
  •  Faculty members from Secondary/Technical Institutes and Technical Universities.
  • Technicians having Secondary/Technical Institutes and Technical Universities degrees.
  • Participants are expected to have electrical/electronic background
  • Students are eligible

Duration:      10days
Course Fee:   GH¢400
Date:         10th – 21st July 2017
Contact:   Mr. Mamudu Hamidu (0241 -22 65 58)

 

S003: Mastering Customer Experience
Course description

The course provides guidelines and best practices for providing excellent customer service that will enable frontline associates and service staff in back-up and support roles to build, maintain, and increase a loyal customer base. The course will be offered with combinations of theories and case studies.

Course content

The content of the course include:

  • Describe Customer Service
  • Identify Customer Expectations
  • Differentiate between customer service and customer care
  • Examine service contract
  • Customer right in service delivery
  • Code of customer service
  • Evaluating customer service level
  • Commit Yourself to Providing Excellent Customer Service
  • Case studies

Objectives

  • To explore the meaning of a customer, importance of customers and their value to organizations.
  • To understand critical need for superior customer service towards customer satisfaction as well as organizational growth and survival.
  • To explore the various components of customer service.
  • To understand the need for customer survey for successful customer service delivery.
  • To understand the various challenges associated with customer service

Target group:

Customer service personnel, managers, marketing professionals, receptionist, administrators, secretaries, customer relation officers.

Duration: 3days
Course fee:   GH¢ 350.00
Date:         8th – 11th August, 2017
Contact:     Dr. Alfred Owusu (0248 – 83 08 54, Mr. Ofosu Amofa (0501 – 36 35 58)

 

S004: Industrial Electrical Wiring and Control Systems
Course Description:

This course is to train commercial and Industrial technicians/ engineers to acquire the skills in designing and installing complete wiring of systems control in electrical installations. This course will consist of 20% theory to help participants in wiring drawing designs and load estimation. The remaining 80% would be based on practical training. Participants attending this course would also be trained along the Ghana Energy Commission (GEC) internal electrical professional installation examination.

Course content

The content of the course is as follows:

  • Safety
  • Power control system (mains & submains)
  • Motor control system ((DOL), star-delta (automatic and manual))
  • Temperature control system (low & high temperatures)
  • Ventilation control system
  • Power switching control system
  • Outdoor lighting control system
  • Water pump control (open and closed system)
  • Indoor lighting control system
  • Anti-theft control system
  • Vibration control system
  • Measurement and instrumentation Tests on completed installations
  • Installation and maintenance of motors and generators

Target group

  • Technicians in electrical installation
  •  Faculty members from Secondary/Technical Institutes and Technical Universities.
  • Technicians having Secondary/Technical Institutes and Technical Universities degrees.
  • Participants are expected to have electrical/electronic background
  • Students are eligible

Duration:      10days
Course Fee:   GH¢400
Date:         10th – 21st July 2017
Contact:   Mr. Mamudu Hamidu (0241 -22 65 58)

 

S005: Domestic and Commercial Electrical Wiring
Course Description

The course is to train both qualified and unqualified persons to acquire the skills in designing and installing complete wiring circuit. This course will consist of 20% theory to help participants in wiring drawing designs and load estimation. The remaining 80% would be based on practical training. Participants attending this course would also be trained along the Ghana Energy Commission (GEC) internal electrical professional installation examination.

Course content

Proposed Classroom topics include:

  • Safety
  • Electrical installation drawing
  • Electric cables and joints
  • Electrical circuits
  • Wiring systems
  • Protection and earthing
  • Measurement and instrumentation Tests on completed installations
  • Load connections: lamps and lamp circuit, bell, alarm and communication circuits, batteries and cells, D.C. machines, A.C. motors
  • Installation and maintenance of motors and generators

Target group

  • Technicians in electrical installation
  •  Faculty members from Secondary/Technical Institutes and Technical Universities.
  • Technicians having Secondary/Technical Institutes and Technical Universities degrees.

Note: Participants are expected to have electrical/electronic background. Electrical students are also eligible
Duration:       10 days
Course Fee:   GH¢850
Date:         24th July – 4th August 2017
Contact:   Mr. Mamudu Hamidu (0241 -22 65 58)

 

S006: Solar energy (Photovoltaic Design and Installation)
Course Description:

It is a course designed to train solar-photovoltaic Technicians and the general public who are interested in Solar-Photovoltaic design and installation. The course will equip participants with basic knowledge in solar-photovoltaic systems through hands-on training. The training will be delivered through classroom work, laboratory experiments and field modules. The details of the course are shown in the content;

Course content:

Proposed Classroom Topics:

  • Introduction to Renewable energy and Photovoltaics (PV)
  • Solar Radiation Basics and Measurement
  • Solar Cells, Modules and Arrays
  • Basics of Electricity
  • Battery, Charge Controller and Inverter Basics
  • Solar PV Systems Design and Components Selection
  • Balance of Systems Components
  • Plant Safety, Tools and Assembly
  • Plant Installation and Testing
  • Plant Operation and Maintenance

Proposed Laboratory Experiments:

  • Solar Radiation Measurement
  • Measurement of PV module parameters
  • Series and Parallel connections of modules
  • Solar LED Light (introduction and mode of connection)
  • Solar DC Fan(introduction and mode of connection)
  • Inverter, Rectifier and Transformer(introduction and mode of connection)
  • Measurement of Battery, Charge Controller and Inverter parameters
  • Testing of Standalone PV system

Proposed Field Sessions:

  • PV Panel Assembly
  • PV String Assembly
  • Grid connected PV Plant Assembly and Testing
  • PV plant Operation and Maintenance checks
  • Solar PV water pump site visit

Target group

  • Technicians currently installing, testing, operating and maintaining solar PV power plants
  •  Faculty members from Secondary/Technical Institutes and Technical Universities.
  • Technicians having Secondary/Technical Institutes and Technical Universities degrees.

Note: Participants are expected to have electrical/electronic background. Electrical students are also eligible.
Duration:       10 days
Course Fee:   GH¢500
Date:         17th – 28th  July 2017
Contact:   Mr. Mamudu Hamidu (0241 -22 65 58)

 

S007: Electrical Motors & Generators Rewinding
Course Description

This course is designed for students and the general public who have electrical background, thus HND students and graduates, technician students, senior high school students. The course will provide participants with practical experience in rewinding electrical motors and generators for both a.c. and d.c. This course will consist of 20% theory to help participants in wiring drawing designs and load estimation. The remaining 80% would be based on practical training

Course Content:

  • Safety
  • Rewinding of electric motors both ac and dc.
  • Rewinding of generators.
  • Rewinding of electrical fans (ceiling fan and standing fan )
  • Installation of electrical motors  (3-phase and single-phase motor)
  • Rewinding of grinding machines.

Duration:       10 days
Course Fee:   GH¢400
Date:         1st – 14th August  2017
Contact:   Mr. Mamudu Hamidu (0241 -22 65 58)

 

S008: Quality Laboratory Control And Management Worksh
Course Description, Objective and Content

Quality control and quality assurance constitute good laboratory practices. The quality workshop focus on areas of quality control, quality assurance and management which will help to detect immediate errors, and changes that occurs over time thereby assuring the accuracy and reliability of test results from laboratory.

Theme: Quality monitoring and assessment in laboratory analysis

Objectives

  • To increase participant ability to avoid common analytical errors in analysis,
  • To equip participant to avoid and handle basic instrumentation faults,
  • To allow participants to practice and sharpen their skills basic analytical chemistry,
  • To help participant enhance their effectiveness as technicians.

Course Content:

1. Quality control and Assurance

  • Concept of Quality.
  • Control of Accuracy and Precision.
  • Theory of Statistical Tolerance.
  •   Control Charts General Theory of Control Charts, Shewhart Control Chart for Process Control;
  • Cause-Effect and Pareto Diagrams.
  • Inspection Methods; SPC (Statistical Process Control)

2. Laboratory Management

  • Laboratory or test facility management basics
  • Laboratory design consideration
  • Procurement of laboratory supplies
  • Laboratory equipment operation
  • Laboratory Information management system
  • Quality Control and quality Assurance
  • Laboratory Accreditation
  • Ethical issue in research management

3. Laboratory Safety

  • Good laboratory practices
  • Biosafety  and Biosecurity
  • Laboratory classification into Biosafety  levels
  • Work and Practice and Engineering Controls
  • Use of Personal Protective Equipment

Target Group: This course is suitable for chemists, technicians working in analytical labs, chemical engineers, and laboratory managers.
Duration:    3   days
Course Fee:   GH¢ 600
Date:         1st – 3rd August 2017
Contact:  Dr. David Azanu (0246 – 24 41 56)

 

S009: Hands-On Gas Chromatography Workshop
Course Description

Gas chromatography (GC) is one of the most versatile and ubiquitous analytical technique used in the laboratory. This technique is used for determination of organic compounds. This technique is also used in the separation of complex mixtures.
It serves as a detection systems when attached to the mass spectrometry system. Gas chromatography deals gas-solid (adsorption) and gas – liquid (partition).

Course Objectives

  • Introduce the basic aspects of Chromatography, and their significant applications in water analysis,
  • To know the types of gas chromatography and their operation
  • To also know the gas chromatography detectors
  • To perform hands-on practice

Course Content

The content of the course among others include: Performance of GC Separation, Gas Chromatography columns, Gas Chromatography detectors, Temperature Selection, Quantitative Measurements, and Gas chromatography -Mass Spectrometry.

Target Groups: This course is suitable for chemists, technicians working in analytical labs, chemical engineers, and laboratory managers.

Duration:    3   days
Course Fee:   GH¢ 600
Date: 8th – 10th  August 2017
Contact:  Dr. David Azanu (0246 – 24 41 56)

 

S010: Process Plant and Equipment Operations
Course Description/Course Content

The course is intended to develop participants’ knowledge on the Techniques and Good Practices in Equipment Operations; Process Equipment and Machine Operations; Process Plant and Equipment.

Objective: to equip participants to understand the principles of industrial process equipment and its operations.

Target group

Equipment and plant operators in oil and gas processing, mineral processing, water treatment, oilseed processing, cocoa bean processing, cement production, food and beverage, chemicals production, polymer processing and energy production industry.

Duration:          5 days
Course Fee:     GH¢600.00
Date:                31st July – 4th August, 2017
Contact:            Dr. Robert Dery Nagre (0243419741)
Mr. Philip Ansah (0548956578)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

S011: Industrial Health, Safety and Loss
Course Description/Content

The is structured to equip participants with knowledge and silks in Regulations on Health and Safety at work, workplace health and safety policy, statistical data on industrial accidents, causes of accidents, recognizing hazards and control of risks at work, safety audit, importance of health surveillance at work site, hazardous materials or chemicals safety, etc.

Objective: to equip participants with the principles of safety and loss prevention thus helping them to prevent industrial risks.

Target group

Graduates with science and engineering background, maintenance engineers, plant operators and supervisors, health and safety assistants and coordinators, medical/science and industrial laboratory operators or technicians, HR managers, etc.

Duration:           5 days
Course Fee:      GH¢600.00
Date:                  7th – 11th August , 2017
Contact:             Prof. Mike Agbesi Acheampong (0543286992)
Mr. Philip Ansah (0548956578)