University for Development Studies Faculty of Agriculture
The Faculty of Agriculture which is located in Nyankpala within the Tolon/Kumbumgu District, about 20 km South-West of Tamale, the capital of Northern Region of Ghana is arguably the largest Agricultural Faculty in the Country. It was the first Faculty to be established in the University and it offers a four-year general degree programme, with very limited specialization, leading to B.Sc. (Agric. Technology). The Faculty currently runs Post-graduate programmes and plans are far advanced in the expansion of both post and under-graduate programmes.
The Faculty of Agriculture has nine (9) existing departments, namely: Animal Science, Agricultural Mechanization and Irrigation Technology, Agricultural Economics and Extension, Horticulture, Agronomy, Biotechnology, Family and Consumer Science, Agricultural Science Education, and Food Science and Technology. Students of the Faculty therefore have these options from which to choose for their limited specialization as they progress in the years.
The Faculty kick started its proposed new programmes in Biotechnology and Molecular Biology, Food Science and Technology. As was intended in collaboration with the Pong Tamale Veterinary College, the Faculty also ventured into Veterinary Nursing as well this academic year. Fee paying sandwich courses for Diploma in Agricultural. Education, General Agriculture and Family and Consumer Sciences have been developed and taken off for the yearning market of prospective students desiring to upgrade their status.
The academic departments constituting the Faculty therefore are:
- Department of Agricultural Economics and Extension
- Department of Agricultural Mechanization and Irrigation Technology
- Department of Agricultural Science Education
- Department of Agronomy
- Department of Animal Science
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Family and Consumer Science
- Department of Food Science and Technology
- Department of Horticulture
The core business engaged by Staff of the Faculty were in teaching, research and extension activities and these activities emphasized problem-solving and participatory learning approaches, geared towards integrated rural development and poverty alleviation.
The Faculty offers the following Programmes;
- 4-Year BSc Agriculture Technology
- Agricultural Mechanization & Irrigation Technology
- Agricultural Economics & Extension
- Animal Science
- Horticulture and Biotechnology
- 4-Year BSc (Family & Consumer Sciences)
- 4-Year BEd (Agricultural Science)
- 4-Year BSc Veterinary Nursing
- 4-Year BSc Food Processing Technology
- 4-Year BSc Biotechnology and Molecular Biology